2015-09-12

Understanding Cancer - The Cancer Series part 1


If you follow my blog you know that recently I've had a bit of trouble with what I wanted to say on my blog. It's a style blog, and will continue to be so, but I felt like I have too little to say and to offer. I scrutinised my interest and my knowledge and I came to the conclusion that if anything I can write about science. Medical science is my field of research, more particularly pathology, and even more particular than that - cancer of the large intestine. I work in a research group that focuses solely on cancer of the large intestine, that is cancer in the colon and the rectum (which is the bit between the colon and the anus). We have people working on all the different aspects of this particular cancer, but my work is mostly to do with the genes and mutations that cause cancer in the large intestine.

So I thought I'd describe a bit of what I work on and break it down for you all so that it's not just some medical mumbo-jumbo but actually understandable. To start we need to ask the basic question: What is cancer?

Cancer is a disease that is caused by cells that divide abnormally and more than they should. This can often lead to a growth - a tumour. A tumour is not always cancer, you can have a tumour that is benign, which means that it is "nice", grows slowly and is usually safe to have. A tumour is basically just a mass of cells. For example, a wart is a tumour. Warts are not usually dangerous, they're a bit gross, but they are definitely not cancer. Cancer evolves when the cells normal division is disrupted and goes out of control. It's a cancer when the cancer cells grow in size and number and grow into surrounding tissue or spread to other parts of the body (via the blood or lymphatic system) and become cancers at the new location (what you have then is a metastasis which is basically a "daughter" tumour). The tumour (the mass of, in this case, cancer cells) is now called a malignant tumour which behaves more aggressively.

Hopefully now, you understand what cancer is on a basic level. So my question to you is: Are you interested in me continuing this and writing more about science and specifically cancer (which is my area of interest and knowledge)? Or is it too much?
If you have any questions about the actual information in this blog post pop down to the comments and ask me, I will do my best to answer!




I promised that I would continue as a style blogger as well, so I wore this lovely deer dress from Larmoni. Again.

But this time I paired it with a long sleeved blouse because it is getting colder here. I am very excited about the weather getting chillier and the air getting crisper. I've mentioned many time that I love autumn, and slowly the leaves are transforming into the golden colours that we associate with this wonderful season.




Blouse: Miss Patina (here)
Dress: Larmoni (here)
Shoes: New Look via Asos (here)
Socks: Primark (old)



Much love

12 comments:

  1. As someone who doesn't know anything about science, I'd love to read your posts! It is so nice when style bloggers share other interests and different knowledge. That is what makes a blog unique! If you want to go on about cancer, maybe you could tell us how exactly it can be cured, how the process is stopped? I'm curious, and of course, this is something I never thought about researching!

    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely Julia! Thank you so much! I agree, I like to read about other stuff too on style blogs. It's fun to learn new things!
      Great idea! I would love to do a post about a "cure" for cancer. Just quickly I'd want to add this: There is no cure, but many treatments. But I'll definitely do a post on that! Thank you so much for the inspiration!
      Much love

      Delete
  2. my grandma has battled through cancer twice, and my godfather passed away last year after fighting a brain tumour. after watching their struggles it would be interesting to actually learn more about how the disease works and how it can be treated, as i don't really know that much about it. thank you mona :) cute outfit today! i love the blouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Beth. Cancer is an ugly disease and I really wish that we get closer and closer to finding good and effective treatments. It is also out of a scientific point of view a very interesting disease. I'm sorry you've seen loved ones struggled with cancer. I feel more motivated to see this cancer series through now that I know that there is interest for it :)
      Thank you, the blouse is great - goes with everything!
      Much love

      Delete
  3. I am incredibly interested in your line of work, Mona! I have many friends and family members who have careers in various medical fields, but not a single one of them is a cancer researcher - I would really like to learn more about it! I have been intrigued about your career ever since I read your Instagram bio. So thank you for sharing more about it. :)

    -Lindsey

    P.S. This outfit is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! Really? How fun, I wanted to be a doctor before I realised that I could do research. I feel so happy knowing that there is interest to learn more about something that I know quite a lot about. It is totally my pleasure, and my passion!
      Oh and thanks! I do love this dress.
      Much love

      Delete
  4. You look so sweet like a doll in this outfit. Having recently discovered your blog, I've become interested in the content you post because they tend to be quite thought provoking, which is a good thing! I think it's awesome that you are a scientist and not afraid to bring awareness to issues that are often not spoken of. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much!
      I am so honoured and glad that you feel that way. What a splendid compliment. Thank you so very much. It means the world to me that you think that!
      Much love

      Delete
  5. I think that its great that you are getting into more topics. I also realaly like that you simplified what cancer is and what the difference is between tumors and cancer. I think you should continue to educate us and if people complain just separate these posts from your style posts. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! I'm glad you liked this post. Being as cancer research is a major passion of mine, it is very easy for me to talk/write about it. That is a good idea. Thank you so much for your feedback.
      Much love

      Delete